Noble REMC warns players of the augmented reality game Pokémon Go to stay away from power lines, transformers, and substations when playing the game.
REMC encourages users to exercise extreme caution when playing this new global phenomenon. The reality game is drawing players into some dangerous situations. Electric utilities cannot control where the Pokémon appear, making it important for players to make sure they catch their Pokémon from a safe distance.
The game allows players to train, battle, and capture Pokémon through “geocaching,” during which players use their phones to hunt the characters hiding in the real world. Online threads are reporting the “electric” type Pokémon can be found near electrical sites.
REMC encourages parents of children who play the game to talk to them about how to be safe around electricity.
Important safety tips:
- Stay away from power lines, transformers, substations, and electrical work sites.
- Never jump on, sit on, kick, or stick anything inside a transformer, including padmount transformers.
- Do not climb power poles or throw things into power lines.
- Stay away from power lines that have fallen because they can still be energized.
- Power lines near trees also pose a danger; exercise caution and check for power lines before climbing a tree.